Protein & Energy Needs: Female Athletes
Content by: Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD
Female athletes have unique protein needs. Use this presentation to offer insights for coaches, athletes and parents. Read more!
This protein guide and presentation offers an overview and a plan to meet protein needs of young, female athletes. Yes, protein is necessary to repair muscles, but it is exercise that builds muscle mass. Carbs are the muscle fuel necessary for exercise.
General guidelines for females and meal planning:
• Calories: 2,500-3,200 (depending on body size and position played)
• Protein needs, based on 0.8 g protein/lb body weight (about 1.8 g protein/kg)
• 115 lb player needs about 92-115 g protein/day; 130 lb player needs about 104-130 g protein/day
NOTE: Hungry athletes will eat more than outlined in this example. Increase or decrease portions of proteins and carbs, based on your body weight and your exercise program.
1. Calculate the amount of carbs to accompany the protein requirements.
2. Exercise to build muscle mass.