How To Gain Weight in a Healthy Way
Content by: Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD
Did you know, it's more important that you add carbohydrates to "bulk up"? Learn more...
Often, athletes set the goal to "bulk up" to improve performance. There is a tendency to believe it is about consuming more protein. Although protein is important, you also need the additional carbohydrates to fuel your workouts that build muscle.
5 Quick Tips:
• Eat more! Enjoy an extra snack and double portions at meals.
• For fluid, drink juice or milk instead of plain water.
• Build muscle with extra exercise, not extra protein. To have the energy to do the muscle-building exercises, eat carbohydrate-rich fruit, juice, bread, cereal, pasta and other starchy food at each meal.
• Choose heart-healthy, calorie-dense foods, such as peanut butter, other nut butters, nuts, avocado, olive oil and salad dressings made with olive oil.
• If you don’t feel hungry, think of the food as your weight gain medicine that you need to eat to reach your goal.