Tips for Living a Balanced and Healthy Life
Content by: NCES, Inc.
Wanting to live a more healthy, balanced lifestyle? It's a combination of nutrition, exercise and mindfulness. Finding a well balanced mix of each of these aspects can be overwhelming. Get back to the basics with these simple tips ... Learn More!
Go for grains! They are a great source of fiber, B-vitamins, & iron. Make half your grains whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice and wheat.
Eat the rainbow! Get your 5 servings each day. Fresh fruits and vegetables are packed with powerful nutrients to keep your body healthy and feeling good.
Manage sodium intake. Sodium is linked to high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke. Limit daily sodium intake to 2300mg. Read labels to know how much you’re getting. If the % daily value is >20%, the item is considered to be “high in sodium”
How well do you read food labels? Understand the basics of reading Food Labels and using the information in your daily life.
Get enough water! Water helps regulate body temperature, absorb nutrients better, protects vital organs, and helps your skin stay hydrated.
Are you getting enough physical activity? It is recommended that you get at least 30 minutes of
moderate to vigorous activity on most days of the week.
Do you know what an ideal weight for you is? Maintaining a healthy weight reduces your risk for diseases like diabetes and heart disease. Find your ideal body weight! https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/weight
Tips of the day!
- Reduce saturated fat intake - it raises cholesterol. Foods high in saturated fats include beef, pork, butter, cheese, and processed foods.
- Blood pressure under 120/80 is important in staying healthy! Check it today!
- Fiber can help lower your cholesterol by absorbing excess cholesterol in your bloodstream.
1. Begin easy meal planning, that includes fiber.
2. Manage what goes in the grocery cart.
3. Get out to the Farmer's Market this season!
Good sources of fiber include: whole grain oats, fruits and vegetables and beans and legumes.
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.