Snack Tips for Kids
Content by: NCES, Inc.
Snack time can be fun for kids, but developing healthy snack habits is important.
Follow these tips for Snack time:
1. Have a scheduled snack time during the day - constant grazing can lead to poor weight gain and inadequate nutrient intake at meal time
2. Keep portion sizes in check - snacks are meant to be a source of additional nutrients and energy, not replace a whole meal
3. Add a source of fiber - this will keep little bellies full until the next meal
- Good sources of fiber include fruits, vegetables and whole grains
4. Remember that beverages with calories should count as a food - milk and juice contain beneficial nutrients but should be offered in moderation
- Appropriate portion sizes for children 1yr +: milk 16oz/day, 100% juice 4oz/day
Snacks can be part of nutritious diet! Helping children to develop healthy snacking habits early in life is a skill they can continue to use through adulthood. Use some tips and tricks from these fun downloads to educate kids on how to utilize snacks to their advantage!